Sunday, August 24, 2008

culture catch-up, counting the miles

Did I mention that school started on August 7th this year? All summer, I drove past the sign thinking that the 2 had fallen off. When the 7th was dangerously close and no one had bothered to put the 2 back up, I started to panic. Luckily, I had purchased all of Leah's supplies at the end of the last school year, and they were simply waiting for her on her first day. I understand most of us don't need our kids as farm hands over the long summer days anymore, but still, the shorter break takes some getting used to.

It is finally starting to cool off a bit. The early mornings are agreeable for running, and I'm beginning to contemplate the timeframe for building up to the Mercedes marathon in February. The heavy training will take place during the fall and winter -- the best time to run. The biggest challenge will be waking up early enough to do the double-digit mileage so that I don't miss any family time. The four o'clock alarm is not pleasant, even when it's set to sound like the ocean.

No comments: